Monday, April 24, 2006

City Squares

Dear Jesse,

Do you want to know where to find lots of Chinese people of all ages enjoying all sorts of activities almost every evening? Go to the city square in just about any city in China. It is often the gathering place for young people and families and senior citizens.

Many of China’s cities now have very attractive city squares, as if to recognize the importance of the square to community life. Some of the squares have fabulous fountains and even orchestrated nightly water shows. Many of the squares have striking statutes of national heroes. Generally the squares are beautifully landscaped.

On the hot, humid summer nights in China, people flock to city squares to feel the open breeze and cool down as they relax. But the bitter cold that is experienced in many places in China doesn’t necessarily deter people from visiting the city square in wintertime. They just bundle up with layer upon layer of clothing until they can hardly move. Then they head to the city square.

Whenever I visit a city, I try to stop by the city square at night. It helps give me a feel for the people. Usually there is at least one group of ladies dancing, sometimes wearing colorful costumes and gracefully waving fans. There is always a group of people performing martial arts exercises. And often I see children flying kites, older men playing board games, and women gathered in groups talking. I have even seen teenagers break dancing and adults writing Chinese calligraphy with chalk on the sidewalk. And most frequently I have observed people just sort of hanging out, strolling about, watching others, and being watched.

I always feel a sense of excitement and joy when I visit a city square because I love to see the Chinese people in such a relaxed setting. But I always have a sense of sadness as well because I know that many of them do not yet know Jesus. So as I walk around and talk to those who greet me, I also pray quietly for their salvation. I ask God to give me an opportunity to tell some of them about Jesus. Sometimes He does that right then and there.

Love from China,

Auntie D