Heroes from History
Dear Jesse,
Have you ever heard of a man named Leifeng? Well, neither had I until I came to China. But he certainly is a hero here. To hear my Chinese friends tell it, he is sort of like Abraham Lincoln, Davy Crockett, and Superman all rolled into one.
Leifeng was a young communist soldier in the 1950's who was valued by Chinese people for his good works. There are many stories about his kindness to others. Chinese students used to sing a song praising him. Some of my university student friends still remember the words. Some Chinese people, however, believe that he never really existed, but was a fictional character.
Last year I visited the city where he was supposedly born. Fushun, in northeast China’s Liaoning Province, has a beautiful monument and museum that have been built in his memory. Even though it wasn’t a holiday or even the weekend, there were Chinese visitors there who had come to pay tribute to his memory. It made me realize that he really is honored by Chinese people.
Well just like China, America has its human heroes too: some of them real and some of them only legends. Of course we admire the good work of others, no matter if they are real or fictitious. Yet Christians know that no amount of good works can substitute for a relationship with Jesus. Salvation comes through faith in Christ Jesus who performed the ultimate “good work” when He died on the cross to save us from our sins.
Oh Jesse, I would much rather hear all of the boys and girls of China sing joyful songs about Jesus, rather than Leifeng or any human being, no matter how kind and wise they might have been. God alone deserves our songs of praise. Why don’t you and I sing to Him right now! How about “Jesus Loves Me”? I’ll sing in Chinese and you can sing in English. Here goes . . . “Yesu ai wo wan bu tswo . . . “
Love from China,
Auntie D

<< Home