Monday, October 10, 2005

Neighbors

Dear Jesse,

Wow! You would not believe my next door neighbors. Their lives are so different from ours.

They are brand new neighbors and so I am just getting to know them. But I have already noticed that they have a “god shelf” attached to their living room wall. On it they have placed a small idol and a container to hold the incense sticks that they burn to their family god. There is also room on the “god shelf” for them to place offerings of fruit. Often when I pass by, I can smell the incense burning.

On my way home yesterday, I passed by their front door and heard lots of little clacking sounds. It was a sound that anyone who lives in China can recognize immediately. I knew that they were playing mahjong, a traditional table game that involves the moving of a lot of little round plastic pieces. Usually it also involves gambling.

Well, just like in America, every family is different. Some families really love the Lord, and some don’t even know Him. Jesus said that we should love our neighbor as ourselves. Wow! That is a real challenge. If I really love them that much, then I sure do want them to know the way to eternal life.

Please pray today for my neighbors, Jesse. Pray that God will use me to tell them about Jesus. Pray too for all of the lost people in China who don’t have a Christian neighbor living next door. Pray that Chinese Christians will seek them out and be a good neighbor to them by telling them about Jesus.

Love from China,

Auntie D