The World's Best Airport
Dear Jesse,
Living in East Asia is so interesting. I hope that someday you can come to visit me. But until then I guess I will just have to tell you about some of the everyday things that make life so different.
I flew into the Hong Kong airport recently and could hardly believe my eyes. It is so much more modern than any other airport that I can ever remember. Maybe that is why it has been voted as the best airport in the world for four years in a row!
After I got off the plane, I walked a short distance and then took a very steep escalator down to the ground level. There I caught an indoor train that took me to the immigration desk where I had to show my passport to a Hong Kong officer. After that I walked into a huge room that had about 20 huge luggage carousels. They were sort of like merry-go-rounds for suitcases. After waiting for a few minutes, I finally spotted my suitcases. I pulled them off the carousel and placed them on a metal push cart.
Next I had to decide whether to catch a bus or a train or a taxi to my hotel. There are so many choices of transportation at the Hong Kong airport. But guess what? I realized that I didn’t have to decide at all. My friends were there waiting for me! They knew that I would have lots of luggage, so they drove in a van to pick me up.
Some people call the Hong Kong Airport the gateway to China. That is because many of the travelers into other China locations fly into Hong Kong first. Maybe someday you will fly into the Hong Kong airport. If so, I hope I can be there to meet you.
Love from China,
Auntie D

<< Home