Walking Birds and Walking Idols
Dear Jesse,
This morning I saw a man walking his bird! No, the bird wasn’t walking. The man was carrying the bird in a cage.
This is something that I have seen many, many times in China. Bird owners take their caged birds for a walk so that both they and their birds can get some fresh air! Today the man was holding the cage straight out in front of himself so that the bird would stay calm and still. But I have also seen some bird owners who carry the cage at their sides, swinging it back and forth. That always makes me really glad that I am not a bird! Just thinking about it makes me dizzy!
But I will tell you something even more unusual. A few years ago in Taiwan, I saw some people walking their idols! Yes, some of the handmade idols were loaded onto the back of flatbed trucks, and others were balanced on poles carried on the shoulders of men. The idols were paraded by their worshippers through the streets. The Chinese people were setting off firecrackers as if it was a celebration. That made me so sad, Jesse, to see people who actually worship little homemade gods made of plaster and metals and painted in bright colors.
That is why I am in East Asia. God’s commandments remind us that we are not to worship idols or to have any gods before Him. But many people don’t know that because they have never even heard about Jesus. I really, really want everyone here to know about the love of Christ and to know that when He enters our hearts, there is no need or place for idols or any other substitute “gods”.
Please pray for me today, Jesse. Pray that God will use me to tell many people about Jesus so that they can believe in Him. Then their hearts can soar like birds that have been freed from their cages.
Love from China,
Auntie D




<< Home